Thursday, August 16, 2007

Children are Amazing

Today we took our son to the mall. Our mall just got a new play area with extra cushion floor, an ideal place to let a 7 1/2 month old roll around. We decided to shop around a little first. I am not a shopper, in fact I hate shopping. My DP says I'm a lot like a guy when it comes to shopping. I usually know exactly what I want, go straight for it and am then ready to check out shortly after I have it. I am not one for idly traipsing up and down every row just to see whats new. I do browse, sometimes but its get old and tedious fast for me. My DP is just the opposite, she loves shopping, browsing, traipsing and ever element of shopping (except paying that's usually what I do ...go figure). Her and I rarely go shopping shopping because I get bored and irritated easily with it.



Anyhow, we finally make our was to the play area. It was mostly deserted (which I liked), park the stroller and go in. We put him on the floor and scatter toys all around him but just out of reach, he sits there a min and then starts to do his usually army crawl scoot thing. We had been trying to entice him to crawl crawl( on hands and knees) for a couple weeks as he would be starting daycare soon (sad face) and I did not want to miss it. I took my glasses off, normal for me as I hate wearing them and can see fairly well with out them ( which is why I always misplace them..lol) and put them on the floor next to me but out of his reach. He is your typical baby, always interested in things that he shouldn't have my glassed being one of them. DP and I are talking, Cj is in between us on the floor...next thing I notice is he is crawling. Doing the actually crawl crawl and headed straight for my glasses.



It was such a wonderful moment that touch my heart. I remember when he was first born and the elation I felt then hearing his first cry, the panic and fear that struck my heart moments later when he stopped breathing and a NICU team came in and swept him away. Followed by the longest 3 hours of my life waiting to hear news on this precious little miracle that came into my life and was quickly taken away. Looking back I remember many firsts, like the first time I held him, the first time his tiny little hand closed around my finger. The first time he held his head up, rolled over, sleep thru the night (hurray for that one!), held his own bottle, sat up, ate solid foods, pulled up on something, and now crawling.



Every day he is doing something new, every day I look at this tiny little human that cries when I leave the room and bounces around excitedly when I come back. He smiles captivate me, his laughter makes my heart smile, he is real. The child I thought I would never have. He amazes me everyday. Looking in to his eyes I can see all the hopes and dreams of the future. It really does make you see just how precious life is.

3 comments:

Enola said...

You know me - I'll have to remind you of this post next time you have a bad day :) I am so glad you were there to witness him crawling. Miracles of miracles, even though my DD was in daycare from 11 weeks old, she always accomplished her milestones (crawling, walking, pulling up) when I was present. I wish the same for you.

Hidden Tears said...

awww thanks Enola, and I'm sure you will use this against me...lol, but I love ya anyhow!

Enola said...

There is a present for you on my blog.