Monday, February 11, 2008

Forgiveness is...

At my last appointment with T, I made a comment that I was not a very forgiving person. She was very interested in this statement and challenged me to write about what I thought forgiveness was/is.(without looking it up). I think forgiveness can be many things.

Forgiveness is...

  • when you accept someone’s apology and do not hold the wrong doing against them
  • when you give someone a second chance
  • unconditional love
  • understanding that the human condition is imperfect so mistakes are woven in to it
  • not holding a grudge

I think there is more but I just can't think of anything else. I will add more to it later if I think of anything, but I can tell you that after doing this. I don't believe that I am so unforgiving. I think I am just really unforgiving with myself, well I know I am. I am a very patient person but I angry easily with things that do not go as they should. (If that make sense) This gives me something to ponder.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Interesting post. You did a good job on your T homework. A while back, I posted some stuff that I took off of the blog of "My Dissonance". She stated this about forgiveness:

For me, forgiving someone who has abused me in the past is a way of saying, "What you did to me isn't okay. I may never understand it, even though I've tried. I understand that you're broken and incredibly sick, but all the blame is on you despite your sickness and brokenness. But I'm not going to spend the rest of my life hating you for it. I'm not going to spend the rest of my life enraged. I'm not going to spend the rest of my life feeling sick whenever I hear your name or every time I think of you. You're not worth the heart attack or the ulcer. But I AM worth letting you go, along with all of this hate, rage, and sadness that you stir in me.

And, BTW, you are very unforgiving and harsh on yourself! Take it easy on you!!

Hidden Tears said...

Thank you, you know, I never really considered the word very much. It really does hold alot of meaning